[TriLUG] Rant: VISTA OMG PLEASE SHOOT ME

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 23:30:40 EDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Andrew C. Oliver <acoliver at buni.org> wrote:
> So I've been doing a little side work and this has put me in contact
> with Windows Vista.  My god this is an unpleasant little operating
> system.

Yet another tale of Vista weirdness:

Last night I was in a classroom for a work session with a student
group. I decided to put some music on, so I got out my keys. I've got
a 1GB USB stick on my keychain, and it has three albums of music on
it. I stick it in the machine at the front of the class. Vista gives
me an XP-looking popup asking me what I want to do with the new drive.
So far, so good. Everything sounds normal, right?

So's not to leave my keys dangling and risk leaving them, I copied the
contents of the music folder to a new folder on the desktop. Still
kosher.

I highlight all the songs, right click and "play" and up comes Windows
Media Player. No weirdness yet.

Meeting wraps up, everybody heads for the door. I kill WMP and then
right click on the new folder on the desktop, delete. There's a
progress bar.... and then a permissions error? WTF? Try again: right
click, "Move to Recycle Bin" or whatever the verbiage is. Again,
permissions error. Huh?

Open folder, highlight all contents, right click, move to recycle bin.
That works. (?!)

Close folder, right click, move to recycle bin. That works. (?!)

WTF was that?

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
celebrating 15 years of sunsite/metalab/ibiblio: