[TriLUG] PHP performance testing

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Tue Oct 2 12:08:17 EDT 2007

When loaded, the CPU usage is about 75% httpd and less than 25% mysqld.
Disk IO time% keeps under 1%, avg disk service time is under 10ms and
disk writes/sec seem to be scaling linearly with the applied load.

I'm taking that to mean that most of my opportunities for optimization
are in PHP.

I'll look into xdebug.  Thanks!

Chris

Hugh A. Cayless wrote:
> Your scripts may be database-bound.  Profiling your scripts using
> something like http://xdebug.org/ would tell you whether what's actually
> taking the time.  If it's code execution, then an optimizer may help,
> but if it's connecting to a database and retrieving data (or disk I/O,
> or something else), then you'll have to optimize by speeding up query
> execution, caching, etc.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services