[TriLUG] Securely and Accurately transmit passwords

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 4 10:14:00 EDT 2007

Dude! Excellent email...

You are absolutely right - the easiest way to break in is to let a clueless user do it for you!
<no hope! no hope! we are all doomed...>
I can't tell you the number of users that needed "love" or wanted to look at a "naked Anna K" - even after we sent out warnings and blocked those emails from coming into the corporate accounts...

Fortunately we also ran internal firewalling and up-to-date virus protection, and our good pig Snort now warns us of locals without a clue.

NMS is also a great tool for finding zombies, droids, and bots on our extended networks. The networks they are on, tend to light up when you do something as simple as look at their raw traffic over time.

Running all our apps hosted is also a big plus (so far) on the security side. The only folks with the keys to those inner walls run Linux - and a have a clue or two. Still, we are just living in a fools paradise trusting in the mellow good wishes of our world-wide neighbors.

I guess the lesson here, is that if you are going to be a fool, be one with multiple active defenses and zones.

Jon (smart enough not to vote for Bush either time) Carnes