[TriLUG] Date in Thunderbird and job listings

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sun Oct 7 13:30:46 EDT 2007

At 1:09p -0400 on 07 Oct 2007, Douglas A. Whitfield wrote:
> 0 - No date  - 10:23 AM
> 1 - Your system's long* date format - Friday, December 31 2003 10:23 AM
> 2 - Your system's short* date format - 12/31/1999 10:23 AM
> 3 - Year and month, separated by a slash - 1999/12 10:23 AM
> 4 - Abbreviated day name - Fri 10:23 AM

Annoying how limited the options are, yes?  I think the best solution
would be for Thunderbird to accept strftime input from the user.  I
fiddled around with the source code about a year ago and failed to add that.

> Ubuntu appears to be one of these operating systems (and maybe Linux in
> general???).  Is there any way someone could see to work around this so that
> I can see the days of the week on my e-mails?  Option 4 works, but I want
> the date and the day of the week, which four does not do.

Next I tried modifying my LOCALE file settings, in effect modifying the
%c modifier (locale-gen, localdef).  It's perhaps not the most perfect
of solutions, but after installing that locale, I had the date as I
wanted it in most applications.

I would love to hear other suggestions/solutions as well because I agree
that this is a problem.

Kevin