[TriLUG] Problems with debian software raid install.

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Mon Oct 8 14:11:29 EDT 2007

I have Etch running on a pair of PATA drives using RAID1.  The Etch
installer (or I) seem to have issues creating layered filesystem types
(e.g., ext3 on lvm on raid).  My recollection of what I had to do was
this:
- create the raid filesystem
- instruct the installer to continue (to force it to actually write the fs
information)
- the installer would determine (after creating the raid fs) that it
didn't have an fs it could write to and bump you back to the fs creation
part of the installer
- then select the newly created raid partitions for your new fs's, set
things as you want, lather, rinse, repeat until you have your filesystems
the way you want

it's a bit of a pain...either I'm doing something wrong or (I think) the
etch installer fs creation code needs fixing

William Sutton