[TriLUG] Which is better?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Oct 10 21:41:02 EDT 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, bak wrote:

> Sendmail has had a long and storied history of vulnerabilities, though
> lately it's been far more robust.

I don't like sendmail anymore than the next person (the m4
config file was for an era before IP dominated networking
and when an MTA was expected to handle all protocols),
however in the absence of a reference to hard data, your
statement here seems a little harsh. I don't have any data
either to rebut your statement, so I'm in no better position
than you to speak. I don't know what "lately" is, so I'll go
with this

o sendmail was written in an era when people were glad for
anything that worked, and people were expected to write
clients which abided by the protocols, or else programs
would crash. Sendmail in this case has the disadvantage of
being first off the block.

o at a Lisa/Sage conference about 10yrs ago, the sendmail
code was held up as an example of safe coding, in that it
was impossible to loose a piece of e-mail: it would either
be delivered or returned as undeliverable. The speaker
seemed to regard the code as all round well written.

I agree that sendmail is horrible to configure (it should
have shed its non-IP capabilities long ago), and if it's not
secure, I'm sorry to hear it. I don't know why Allman didn't
rewrite it 10yrs ago but instead allowed postfix etc to take
over the niche.

Joe