[TriLUG] OpenWRT Help

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 09:19:30 EDT 2007

Warren!

Howdy.  If you are still running OpenWRT White Russian I strongly suggest
you upgrade to Kamikaze if for no other reason then it fixes the Broadcomm
freeze and reboot bug.

There are major differences between Kamikaze and White Russian the first
being that there is no more nvram - all configs are stored in /etc/config.
Wireless is disabled by default on top of that (you just have to comment out
a line in /etc/config/wireless.

I wrote a blog entry a while back about Kamikaze and getting a WRD repeater
up and running:

http://tbcorp.homeip.net/blog/?p=545

The good news is the basic installation of Kamikaze will create a home
router with wireless (assuming you uncomment the aforementioned line) right
out of the box.  Segmenting a port off for DMZ should be fairly easy as
well.

One important note: do NOT install the 2.6 kernel!  Use the 2.4.. wireless
isn't yet supported in Kamikaze running the 2.6 kernel.

Greg