[TriLUG] [ANN] OpenQabal - Open Source Social Networking & Collaboration Platform

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 13:00:53 EDT 2007

Ok, some of you have no doubt heard some of my recent mumblings about a
new open-source project, either on IRC, on my blog, on twitter, or
whatever.  It hasn't really been a secret, but I did not want to make
a really "public" announcement until there was something to talk about.

Well, that day has arrived.  :-)  The project is called OpenQabal, and
in short, is all about creating an open-source platform for
social-networking and collaboration.  The hope is that this software
will be useful in may varied contexts, ranging from enterprises who
want to facilitate collaboration both internally ("behind the firewall"
if you will), as well as externally with partners, customers, etc.; to
small groups of individuals looking to build an online community based
around some shared interest.  So if your stamp collectors club needs
a community site, check out OQ!  Or your church, or your small business,
whatever.

Development is just getting started and the initial version is a long
way from the overall vision of a truly federated social-networking
system.  But substantial functionality exists already and the project
can be built and deployed.  If you are interested in this sort of thing,
surf over to the project site at <http://openqabal.dev.jav.net> and
check it out.

TTYL,

Phil