[TriLUG] Anybody using a USB (or other) foot pedal?

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 12:25:03 EST 2007

Hi Andrew,
I am interested in this topic as well as I am in the captioning/transcription industry (non-profit side anyway). I'm thinking about writing an article on creating subtitles and transcription files using open source software and this would go well.

I found this post on the nch site which may be helpful: http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=643&hl=linux. One guy mentions that ExpressScribe for Windows runs well under Wine and the serial foot pedals worked just fine. It seems the Linux version of ExpressScribe doesn't work as well, however. If you end up trying both ExpressScribe and Transcriber, please let me know which one you prefer. I'm sure there are many other teachers who would be interested in doing the same thing and I will include all of this in the article.

Thanks,
Kevin