[TriLUG] OT: Recommendations on EMC/Dell CX3-20 SAN

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Wed Nov 14 11:44:32 EST 2007

I have done a comparison between EMC and NetApp. In the end I found out
the following (to sum it up):

- A tray of EMC disks were around 15k more than NetApp's.
- A NetApp appliance will allow you to eliminate file servers.
- NetApp's appliance enabled you to do iSCSI, FC (fiber channel), and
Ethernet.
- NetApp's appliance gave you more storage, and takes up considerably
less space when you make snaps of volumes.
- Resizing, upgrading, or adding to NetApp's appliances is considerably
easier than EMC's.

*If you're going to use this for a small to medium organization, you'll
definately see a lower TCO a lot quicker than you would going with the
CX320.

...for the last customer I worked for, I chose NetApp over EMC (even
though I've been through an Symmetrix (yup -- old SCSI connected),
IP4700 (ethernet), FC4700 (fiber channel), CX320 (fiber channel), and
currently use a CX700). They currently have an FAS270c, and they're
extremely happy with it.

Does this help? Is there any thing in particular you want to talk about?
Feel free to e-mail me offline (olsone at aosa.army.mil) or
(eric.olson at gmail.com), if you want to discuss this more in-depth ...or
leaving it in the thread is fine too.