[TriLUG] Recommendations for Best cell phone for use with Linux?

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:30:31 EST 2007

Maybe I'm a simpleton but I just want a phone with FREE 802.11 access.
Seems all the plans want $5 to $20 per month just to allow Internet
access through your own company network! Even iPhone. I guess Google
will blow the market open with gPhone if it uses a real web browser
(WAP - bleh!) and makes Internet free. Mashup with Skype or Vonage and
blast off.  Hmmm, venture anyone?  :-)

Maybe some of the PDA's already provide this? Just find one with a GSM
chip? I guess what I need is a PDA which runs Linux, has 802.11, and
also has a cell phone program. Is there any other effort like openmoko
out there?

Tim