[TriLUG] multiple instances of postfix

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue Nov 20 09:12:35 EST 2007

Chris Bullock wrote:
> With the increase of "smart" phones and increasing mobile users, our users
> are now demanding smtp access from anywhere.  Problem is, historically, we
> have blocked the use of our smtp from outside our network.  My goal is to
> set up an outbound smtp server for my mobile users to use.  I have 2 plans
> for doing this.
> 1.  Use our existing mail server and create a second instance of postfix
> that will require a username and password, our current setup will allow
> any user as long as they are on our network.
> http://advosys.ca/papers/postfix-instance.html
> 2.  My second and most favorable idea is to create a second mail server
> that sits on the Internet, my hurdle here is that my current mail server
> uses local authentication.  How can this server authenticate to the
> original without LDAP?
>

> Regards,
> Chris

> Be a better pen pal.
> Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.  http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

I've got a external postfix server doing smtp auth to allow me to send
from anywhere, problem is when I use my Treo 650, default mail app, I
don't have a FQDN from ATT&T, so my server rejects based on that.  I
haven't decided I want to loosen permissions up to allow unqualified
hostnames.  Maybe someone with more postfix knowledge than me figure out
how to by pass the FQDN check when smtp auth succeeds.  Just thought I'd
share this as you may have the same problem with cell phone users.

Matt P.