[TriLUG] Ubuntu and hyperthreaded CPUs

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Fri Nov 30 10:36:19 EST 2007

I think the Precision 470 is similar to the PE SC1420 in that you also need
a different fan shroud for the 2nd processor and a VRM.  You can find then
on eBay most of the time.

James Tuttle wrote:
> Oh, I said Optiplex before.  It's a Precision 470 and there are two
> sockets.  Hmmm... what could I use this for?  64 bit, 4 GB of RAM, 2
> Xeon processors, gigabit LAN... Quake server!
>
> jim
>
> Dave Sorenson wrote:
>> Should work if you have a dual processor motherboard.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> James Tuttle wrote:
>>> I have two of these sitting on my desk.  One is off and unused.  If I
>>> pull the processor out of it and stick it into the working machine, will
>>> I be able see and use 4 CUP's?
>>>
>>> That would be awesome.  Of course, it would be a total waste of
>>> electricity, but it would be awesome.
>>>
>>> Jim

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services