[TriLUG] LVM planning help

Owen oberry at trilug.org
Fri Nov 30 16:24:58 EST 2007

I have a MythTV box with a 320 GB drive in it that's getting full and I
want to add a second drive to the system. Normally I would add it to my
existing LVM volume group and just carry on, but I'm concerned that if I
do that and 1 of the 2 drives crashes then I'll lose everything, rather
than what's just on that drive.

BTW, I don't plan backing this stuff up for now - it would be a pain to
lose it, but it's not critical and I can recover most of it - it's not
worth the hassle and money. I *will* "mirror" useful configuration files
etc. on the second drive, but I won't backup the big stuff right now.

So I don't want everything in 1 big LVM group, but I would still like to
be able have the flexibility of using LVM so I can move things around.
My current thoughts are to create 1 big LVM partition on the new drive,
partition it up logically, and then just mount the new partitions into
my filesystem tree.

Any comments on my plans? Any other suggestions? Am I wasting my time
using LVM at all on the second drive?

Many thanks,
Owen