[TriLUG] system inexcplicity sending spam

Blackburn, Marvin mblackburn at glenraven.com
Sun Dec 2 14:17:47 EST 2007

We have a server that does not allow incoming smtp traffic into it from the
outside.  We have a sendmail running on a RHEL 3 update 7 with the latest
sendmail available through redhat.
In addition, sendmail is configured only to accept email from the local
host: 127.0.0.1.  Late friday, the system started sending spam via sendmail.
The only connections from outside that are allowed are through http and
https (ports 80 and 443).  We cannot determine what is generating the email.
We can see it being sent, but cant determine the process thats responsiblle.

Any help would be appreciated in finding what might be causing it.  This
server is a webserver.

"He's no failure. He's not dead yet."
William Lloyd George