[TriLUG] Get a router now! - Re: newbie needs help with IP setup, part 2: static IP?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Dec 5 18:14:19 EST 2007

Tom Roche wrote:
> summary: the router/DHCP/DNS proposal sounds good! Just please lemme
> know if I can put that all on a LEAF box (or equivalent).
>
> details:
>
> <warning: ascii art/>
>
> following up from
> http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20071203/052336.html
> note that our current physical network is like
>
>                                           cat5-- backend
>                                          /
> --TWC cable-- Surfboard --cat5-- minihub
>                                          \
>                                           cat5-- lane

Just remove the minihub and replace it with a (4 or 5 port) router, as
previously said many times.  The consumer-level routers are ideal for
this application.  Any that you can pick up at Intrex or Best Buy will
do.  But the ideal one might be the WRT54GL because you could replace it
with OpenWRT or similar advanced firmware in the future if you need.
(Note:  the current WRT54Gs don't run the Linux firmware, and probably
aren't found in stores; the WRT54GL is most likely to be found online.)

I disagree with Magnus that you need to be running your own DNS and DHCP
servers for this.  That adds way too much un-needed complexity and
requires a lot more skills.  You need to focus most likely on the basic
network configuration, and the skills necessary to maintain/operate the
POS system first.  There is no reason you need to be messing with all
those config files he sent you.

Any router, even with the standard software, will allow the necessary
configuration.  You can assign specific ('static' in the English sense)
IP addresses to the backend and lane devices via DHCP, similar to what
Magnus suggested.  Or you can just configure the router's DHCP server so
that it assigns DHCP addresses in a different range from those being
used for the POS devices.  With the latter setup, use actual static IP
addresses on the POS machines.

Plus, with a router you'll be able to plug up your laptop (or get on via
wireless) to the internal network for troubleshooting, with no problems
at all.  Or configure the office PC that Quickbooks runs on, or whatever
else is on the network.

None of this has anything to do with domain names.  You don't need a
domain name for this configuration since you have no Internet services
that will be used by the public.  So let your friend keep those domain
names for something else!  For remote access, you can set up dynamic DNS
through a site like dyndns.org.  Then you'll connect with SSH and/or
VNC, as previously mentioned.   For even further ease of configuration,
get one of the router models that automatically supports dyndns.org.
But if you don't get one of those, configuration is still very easy by
scheduling a simple script (probably on the "backend" server in your
configuration).

Hope this helps,

Jeremy Portzer