[TriLUG] Get a router now! - Re: newbie needs help with IP setup, part 2: static IP?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Dec 6 09:04:43 EST 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, James Tuttle wrote:

> I'm embarrassed to admit I've never soldered.  Maybe I'll look into
> that, though.

it's more complicated than I thought. I'd assumed the header
was already on the pcb and all you had to do was push the SD
card on. I know that every 0.1c counts on commodity hardware
and that unused header pads don't have the headers
installed. Still I'd be happy to pay another $10 for a
Buffalo with a slot for the SD card. This would kill the
unit as the cheapest WAP on the block though. However you do
get a machine with 1G memory.

I notice that ebay sells Buffalos with 1G SD cards and
DD-WRT for $129. The price now is comparable to a WRT-54L
but you have 1G instead of 25M (or whatever). Unless you
were mass producing modified Buffalos, I expect the amount
of time you'd spend figuring out how to modify a single
Buffalo would be a lot more than the extra cost of buying an
already modified unit. I'm sure Tom Billman would have no
trouble with it. This would make a good saturday morning
workshop. I don't quite know what I'd do with 1G on a WAP
though.

Joe