[TriLUG] This years talks wishlist

Andrew Ball anball at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 12:49:31 EST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 11:49 AM, Douglas A. Whitfield <whitdoug at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2007 1:09 PM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > That might make a good joint-meeting with COSI.
>

> While not in charge anymore, I think it's safe to say COSI would happy to do
> just about any joint venture with TriLUG, especially in Chapel Hill.  If
> nothing else, we can very easily provide space for an event.  Then, there's
> ibiblio too, of course.
>
> I forwarded this to one of our contacts in the School of Public Health, but
> I've yet to hear back.  We've been trying to beat down the health care door
> for a while and have been largely unsuccessful.  We've been planning on
> having an event Saturday, January 26th to hit up the beginning of the
> semester, point being that we want to do something at the beginning of the
> semester.  No one seems married to the events we already discussed though,
> so people would probably be interested in shifting focus.  Perhaps Cristobal
> (current COSI president) could speak better to this.

Cool.  I'm working on such a system, which _will_ be open source if it
possibly can.  It shouldn't be too much of a problem -- the grant
is from the NEC Foundation, which has been friendly to open source
development on its grants before, according to Karen Erickson of
the med schol's Center for Literacy and Disability Studies.

We have a wiki describing pretty well what we're up to or planning to do.
It's not open to everyone yet, until I got a modicum of security in place
for the wiki and get the necessary approval.  So, the username and
password to use for HTTP authenication to the site is
friend / g11g11c9s , if you shift the password left once in an
ASCII-compatible encoding (g->f , 1->0, etc.).  Contact me if you
can't figure out the password and want to look at the site.  The
authentication takes a while to go through, but the sites runs quite
well when it does.

The wiki is here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/nec_new_voices/wiki/ .

I've also got several posts to my blog related to decisions I need to make
about the development of this tool and requests for feedback.

> Just as a note to what people in COSI are interested in, the two things
> we've been looking into are a MySQL/PHP training session and an Open Source
> gaming event...so maybe those are things TriLUG could put on the radar.

The New Voices Needs Assessment tool (see previous paragraph of my
reply, is a web application.  I don't have nearly enough experience in web
application development.  I have tentatively chosen Django, Python, and
PostgreSQL, but was close to using  PHP and {MySQL, PostgreSQL}.
Things like that training session would be very helpful to me.

> Douglas A. Whitfield
>
> Co-Founder Carolina Open Source Initiative
> http://www.ibiblio.org/cosi
> http://www.last.fm/group/Carolina+Open+Source+Initiative
> cell: 919-360-0306

Peace,