[TriLUG] exhaustive disk testing

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Mon Dec 10 15:29:39 EST 2007

We _think_ we had a drive failure last week. We were getting
random messages about disk problems at the console and loosing
access to the drive (which was not the boot drive).  We found
that the drive seemed to be OK after rebooting, but then after
30-90 minutes or so (during which we were copying off all the
important files), we would start to see the problems again.
However, we think we were able to recover all files without
any corruption.

So the question is:
What is the best way to do a long, exhaustive disk test to
find out if the drive is really bad (and have some output
to include in our warranty claim)?  We have a Knoppix 5.1
disc handy.  (There is no DVD drive in this machine, so
whatever we use must be CD bootable).

TIA!
Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services