[TriLUG] File extension for a binary executable?

Owen oberry at trilug.org
Wed Dec 12 10:52:53 EST 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:39:58AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Personally I don't want to call my filepicker just "fpick" because
> I'll forget what it is or what it does.

Add a "help" command line switch to the program that prints out all the
information you need, including name of the C file it was compiled from,
if necessary. That way you can always tell what it is and what it does.

Unix traditionally doesn't use shell extensions for files of this type,
although some of my co-workers use .exe (arh!). It doesn't really make
sense when the only unique thing about the file is that it is compiled -
shell scripts, Perl scripts, Python scripts, Ruby scripts ... they're
all executable.

Owen