[TriLUG] File extensions: OK, I understand now

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 17:04:50 EST 2007

If this is something that you're already aware of, sorry for the spam.
However, if you're new enough to Unix/Linux, it's probably worth mentioning,
to expand on Ritesh's point, that Unix executables usually fall into a
specific directory structure, depending on the Unix for which they're being
compiled.  For example, on Linux, you'll find most system commands in */bin
or */sbin directory structure.

Let's use apache for an example on my Linux box.  The main executable is
located at /usr/sbin/apache.  It has libraries in /usr/lib/apache, modules
in /usr/include/apache-1.3, etc.  So basically, just place your compiled
binary executable in a */bin structure, and everyone will pretty much expect
it to be an executable.  It's not guaranteed to be that way, but it's a very
common practice.

-Ben Pitzer