[TriLUG] Consultants ... business license?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Dec 13 17:33:06 EST 2007

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Tim Jowers wrote:

I should have setup in Bermuda...

> I can tell you you WILL be
> harassed by the IRS if you set up a company.

I LLC'ed and first thing I get a letter from the town of
Chapel Hill taxing me for having my computer in my bedroom
in their town. Were they providing me any service for this?
noooo. They were doing it just because they could and my
computer happened to be in Chapel Hill. When they proposed
raising the rate I spoke at a town meeting asking what I was
getting for the business tax; business promotion? training?
access to town bids? Nothing it seems. They didn't raise the
rate, but it was the clincher in becoming an ex-LLC

Joe