[TriLUG] Asterisk Phones

Edwin Castillo edwin at wiredbytes.com
Fri Dec 14 11:50:17 EST 2007

First you'll need an Asterisk server. If you do not want to go through the
pain of building your own take a look at the trixbox offerings (
http://www.trixbox.com/products/appliance).

The difficult part is probably figuring out how you want to leverage the
benefits of VoIP. I assume your 12 station office has phone service today.
If so, how is that being done. Is there a T-1 plugged into a PBX and than
provides extensions or DIDs to the 12 stations.

The simplest (not cheapest) way may be to get a T-1 circuit, order a trixbox
Appliance w/ Single Span T1 ($1800), get a good switch, and plug 12 IP
Phones into it.

I would recommend a professional installation if you want to keep your job.
I've saw a top IT manager fired once for spending a million dollars on a
phone system (Cisco) that had too many issues.The company replaced the IT
manager and the phone system.

--
Edwin Castillo * AIM: MaxWave3 * MSN/Live Messenger: edwincastillo at live.com