[TriLUG] Linux directory problem?

John Mitchell john280z at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 12:02:32 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 10:10 AM, James c. Jones <jonesjc at intrex.net> wrote:
<snip>
> I have one directory that appears with a green background behind the
> directory name. It doesn't appear to be permission related, but I am not
> sure. I am having trouble accessing information from this directory from
> php access in wordpress. ( actually no access ).
>
> Any Ideas would be appreciated.

James,

  Thanks for the question, I learned a lot on this one!

After searching a bit, here is the answer.

1) The Directory colors used by ls come from a file that can be seen by doing:

dircolors  --print-database    from a terminal. By the way, the green
can also be seen using Rxvt or xterm also.

I did a "dircolors  --print-database > colors.txt" so I could us vi to
read the output.

2) in the output there is a section "color init strings for basic file
types" which shows "background color codes" of which 42=green.

3) Further down the file you will find that the 42 is used for:
STICKY OTHER WRITABLE & OTHER WRITABLE

There you are !

PS, I got there by realizing that the "color" was not in the terminal
but from the 'ls' command. So that led to 'man ls' and that lead to
'man dircolor'

john mitchell.