[TriLUG] Asterisk Phones

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 16:02:35 EST 2007

The IP500 is very equivalent to the Cisco 7460, but without the Cisco
price. The speaker phone got great reviews, most rating it above the
Cisco. Another plus was that is was easy to get the SIP firmware and
reload the phones.

I started out buying one IP500 and the TDM400 with one module. I
loaded asterisk and got things going and just tested it for our
environment. When I got the green light, I ordered more phones and the
other Digium modules. As I said, we had 5 employees. Rolling out was
easy.

One big negative to the Polycom phones is Polycom itself. They
wouldn't support the phones unless they were bought from an
"authorized" reseller. Most of the places selling their phones are not
authorized. I had to really fight with them to replace a DOA phone.
The reseller I bought from had a hard to find note on their site that
all Polycom returns must be handled through the manufacturer. Do your
homework on the place you purchase the phones, I didn't.