[TriLUG] Zonbu/Everex

Jason Evans jason.s.evans at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 15:18:09 EST 2007

According to some of the documentation on the web, the Linux that they are
using is a custom version of Gentoo.

I'm really interested in this myself,and I emailed their support person
about installing other Linux distributions on it.  They said that it was
fine just as long as I understand that they can't support my Linux, they
will only support the hardware at that point.

Jason

On Dec 16, 2007 2:50 PM, Randy Barlow <randy at electronsweatshop.com> wrote:

> Jason Evans wrote:
> > There's a new startup called Zonbu that is selling Everex laptops for
> $279
> > with a 24/mo service contract.  Basically, it's the cell phone service
> > business model applied to the PC industry.  Buy the service, get a
> laptop
> > for cheap.
> >
> > From what I've read online, this operation does seem to be on the up and
> > up.  However, I would like to know if anyone on the list has dealt with
> them
> > or used one of the Everex laptops with Linux installed, and what your
> > impressions are.  BTW, these are the same laptops being sold at Walmart.
>
> I kind of wonder if their system is Linux under the hood.  It sounds
> like they might be running X Windows, since they offer all the games
> that come with Gnome.  Sounds like kind of a cool device actually, and
> as Big Brother as their backup scheme sounds, it sounds like a better
> idea than what most people do (not backup at all).  I don't think I'd
> pay that $15/mo. for the service though, and if you add two years of
> service to the $279, you're looking at the same price for a low end
> laptop with no contracts.  Of course, they do have that offer of free
> replacement as long as you're under their contract...  I'm interested to
> see where they go with this!
>
> --
> Randy Barlow
> http://electronsweatshop.com