[TriLUG] Good conference, March 19-21, New Orleans, with chance to help New Orleans nonprofits

Judy Hallman hallman at email.unc.edu
Thu Dec 20 15:21:00 EST 2007

To several lists:

My once-a-year plug for NTEN and its conference:

This year's NTEN Nonprofit Technology Conference (http://nten.org/ntc)
is March 19-21, in New Orleans.

The NTC has become my favorite conference -- good content, good
speakers, and lots of interesting people. It has grown from about 300
attendees in 2004 to more than 1,000 last year. I've been to three and
plan to go to New Orleans.

Registration costs go up January 15.

Note: NTEN members save $200 on their NTC registrations, substantially
more than the cost of becoming a member.
   Early Bird (until January 15, 2008)
   Member     	$349
   Non-Member 	$549
Individual membership rate: $85
Nonprofit organization with a budget size of Less than $500,000: $60

There's a Day of Service March 19 -- NTEN's way of giving back to the
community that hosts the conference. I asked what types of projects
there are for the day of service (I haven't participated in any). They said:

> We're still signing up orgs, so it is a little ambiguous right now.
> But, I can tell you that the groups signing up are indicating they
> are interested in help with:
>
> - Fundraising online
> - Website redesign
> - Email newsletters
> - Selecting an online donation tool
> - Integrating on and offline marketing strategies.
>
> We are also hoping to have one solid wireless networking project for
> several volunteers to engage in.

There's a list of sessions by title at
https://www.ntenonline.org/eweb/Dynamicpage.aspx?webcode=EventSessionsAlpha&evt_key=dce6a1c9-a09c-4997-8b78-38cbec32618b&hide=0

Several interesting "Affinity Groups" gather at the conference. Last
year they included CiviCRM, Open Source Content Management Systems, and
Document Management Best Practices.

Another benefit of membership in NTEN is member discounts on things like
webinars (for example, "Advanced Google AdWords") and ReadyTalk for
audio and Web conferencing, which NTEN uses and for their webinars.

Judy Hallman (hallman at rtpnet.org, http://www.rtpnet.org/hallman)
Volunteer: RTPnet (http://www.rtpnet.org