[TriLUG] Mythtv is soundless in Mandriva 2008

Douglas Ward binaryflow at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 14:49:51 EST 2007

Hello everyone!  I wiped my Mandriva 2007 mythtv computer and installed 2008
a few days ago. Mythtv is fully functioning except for no sound! It would
appear that I am missing the proper codec for the .mpg files that mythtv
creates. I've installed every codec I know about (all gstreamer plugins,
w32-codecs, libdvdcss2, etc...). Here's the symptoms:

1- I can record video properly both through mythtv and manually. Cannot play
it back on the 2008 computer.
2- Copying the video to another computer works fine.
3- No sound related errors in mythbackend.log when I am trying to watch a
video.
4- Amarok can play back ogg files fine.
5- All other sound events seem to be working properly.
6- Totem plays back the file but all I see is a black screen with no audio.

Mandriva 2007 played these files out of the box without my having to do
anything. Something has changed in 2008 so that .mpg files aren't played
back properly. I am completely stumped. Several google searches and a
question in #mandriva and the Mandriva Club forums have yielded no solution.
I hope someone out there can help.  Has anyone seen this before?  Thanks!