[TriLUG] Specifying fixed addresses using DHCP (was Re: enabling SSH into private network)

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Wed Jan 2 21:11:03 EST 2008

I have set a device (NSLU2) with a static IP underneath or over top of
the DHCP range on a router using a DHCP server.
EX: DHCP range of say... 192.168.1.100-150 assign static addresses
between 192.168.1.2-99 or 192.168.1.151-254

Also, going through a NAT use the same IP address but translate the
ports. (but that can get confusing some times). Of course
if you are using a consumer router (Linksys) that has not been flashed
with 3rd party firmware it might be problematic going this way.
I am using this port translation scheme to run more than one web server
on one device (NSLU2). However it is a commercial (SMB)
grade router ( Cisco 851W).

73,
Neil, WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!