[TriLUG] New game: Colony 337

Steven Hilton mshiltonj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 21:27:58 EST 2008

I'm de-lurking here to announce the launch of a site I've been working
on for a long while as a side project.

Colony 337 -- "Colony 337 is a turn-based MMORPG and MMORTS game of
robot combat. Free to play. All you need is a web-browser. Individual
robots collect skills, experience, weapons and inventory to become
more powerful. Teams of robots work to capture territories to control
resources."

http://www.colony337.com/

For those curious: It's written in ruby, running on Rails 2.0.2, using
Mongrel as the back end server and Apache 2.2 as the front end load
balancer. Deployed using Capistrano. Running on Gutsy.  It is being
hosted on a VPS at linode.com. Right now, it's all on one VPS. It's on
pretty meager hardware right now, but I can expand it to multiple
servers if needed. Should work with all browsers, except perhaps IE7,
which wasn't tested.

I announced this in the #trilug chat room on new year's eve and about
half a dozen triluggers immediately joined the game and helped me
identify some issues. Thanks for that, and I hope you enjoyed playing.

--
Steven Hilton <mshiltonj at gmail.com>
<http://mshiltonj.com/>