[TriLUG] DDNS (and maybe DHCP) on host not router

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Fri Jan 4 13:14:04 EST 2008

Alan Porter Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:06:26 -0500
 >>> For what it's worth... the DDNS client does not have to run on the
 >>> router... it can run on any PC on your private network.

Tom Roche Fri Jan 4 12:40:42 EST 2008
 >> Suppose I revert to network like

 >>                                   lane
 >>                                  /
 >> Roadrunner -- Surfboard -- DI-604 -- laptop
 >>                                  \
 >>                                   backend

 >> and I need to be able to do two things from outside the network:

 >> 0 ssh into backend. [...]
 >> 1 ssh into lane. [...]

 >> In both cases I'm using the DDNSed FQDN of the router. ISTM you're
 >> saying I could do, e.g.

oops, corrected domain
 >> ssh dfc2 at backend.dyndns.org # SSH to backend
 >> ssh dfc3 at backend.dyndns.org # SSH to lane

 >> correct?

Alan Porter Fri Jan 4 12:51:43 EST 2008
 > What I meant to say was this...

 > In a small network, like a home, it is not necessary to run the
 > DynDNS client on the router itself. Instead, it can be run on any of
 > the machines behind the router. A lot of people run it on a Windows
 > PC that sits behind the router. The DynDNS client sends some sort of
 > ping to dyndns.org, and then their server figures out where the ping
 > originated from, and it records that IP address.

OK: so you're saying that could work in some scenarios, but not the
one diagrammed above, correct? Because in that PN only the DI-604 is
getting an IP#: it's firewalling, DHCPing, port-forwarding. So putting
a dyndns client on one of lane or backend could not work, correct? Or
am I missing something?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>