[TriLUG] Wireless Keyboard ... which one?

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 4 16:26:58 EST 2008

Lee Fickenscher wrote:
> I don't mean to give you a hard time and I doubt this is a concern for
> the OP, but I have to call BS on this one. I've gamed exclusively with
> wireless mice (Logitech MX Laser (RF) and Logitech BT) for years and
> have never had any problems. Mouse bandwidth, IMHO, is marketing speak
> to try to sell more mice. There can be lag issues with some lesser
> wireless mice, but I've never experienced this using logitech stuff.
> Ditto for the keyboard. The biggest problem gaming with a wireless
> keyboard (and to a certain extent mouse) is with the darn batteries
> dying  on you in the middle of a fight.
> -Lee

Hi Lee,

I'd like to know what kind of wireless mice are game-worthy and don't
have a turn on lag.  I've had two wireless mice, an older one from
Logitech and a more recent one from Belkin.  The Logitech had a very
slight startup lag that only bothered me once in a while during
difficult sequences.  When I went back to using a wired mouse I got
higher scores.

The Belkin (should have known better, but it was *very* comfy) had a
ridiculous turn-on delay that made action games impossible.  It was even
noticeable while using applications (click and drag, miss the first
couple of letters).  It didn't even use an inactivity timer; every time
it stopped moving, it lagged the next time it started.  Another paperweight.

I'm back to using a wired mouse for gaming now, but every once in a
while the cable snags something and throws me back into meatspace.  When
I searched for game-able cordless mice earlier last year, I had trouble
finding any good recommendations.

Thanks,

Scott C.