[TriLUG] How to get laptop earphone jack to work?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jan 11 11:54:25 EST 2008

On Friday 11 January 2008 09:15, John Wheeler wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I have seen this same issue across operating systems on a little
> Inspiron that I inherited from a friend.
> It seems there is a technical issue with some common plug layouts on
> these integrated sound chipsets that only arises when the machine is
> slammed repeatedly into the wall (by arbitrary user) in fits of
> seizing rage. This is induced by malfunctioning windows installations.
>
> The best solution I could find was to open the casing to resettle the
> pieces and connections before whispering softly into the input
> promises of never letting another admin touch her there again.
>  From now on it's just me and her, baby.
>
> Ahem, after you try all of the software suggestions, open it up and
> look for physical damage.

Thanks John.

I'm indeed suspecting hardware.

The manual says when you stick in the 3.5mm stereo plug, it's supposed to turn
off the speakers and play through the plug. This unit does neither.

It's hard to conceive of a data-centric way to defeat this, so I'm suspecting
hardware.

HOWEVER, according to the manual, in order to get to the audio board you need
to do the following disassembly:

1. Prepare the computer for disassembly (Section 5.3) and
remove the following components:
❏ Hard drive (Section 5.4)
❏ Memory module compartment cover (Section 5.6)
❏ Optical drive (Section 5.9)
❏ Switch cover (Section 5.10)
❏ Keyboard (Section 5.11)
❏ Display assembly (Section 5.13)
❏ Top cover (Section 5.14)

Removing the display isn't at all trivial, and neither is the top cover.

Looks like I'm going to be living with the tinny little speakers until the
computer is obso enough that I have nothing to lose by such extensive
disassembly.

Ugh!

Thanks

SteveT