[TriLUG] Linksys long in the tooth?

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Sun Jan 13 09:15:17 EST 2008

Had the issue with the linksys router locking up. These oft times are
caused by the wall wart (power supply) not producing clean/correct
voltages.

Also an issue with firmware. In this case a upgrade of firmware solved
the lockup issue and also resulted in an increase of bandwidth (it sped
up data transfers)
and yes version change document referred to optimization of TCP/IP
stack. Of course fun thing is linksys is aware of the hobby/enthusiast
sector that likes to
reflash their products with 3rd party firmware. The WRT54GL is the
result of that.

Don't be afraid to reflash the firmware right out of the box.

As for the wall wart story, These wall warts are generally cheaply built
and produce minimal power requirements for the device. They can also be
a source of interference for other devices. if you find your self with a
large number of these things, get your self a good power supply (I am
particular to Astron) that produces a clean dc signal, or better yet a
string of recombinant gel-cell batteries with a good trickle charger.
Find a good fused DC distribution panel (MFJ or West Mountain Radio) and
feed all your wall wart devices with it. They will thank you in the end.

73,
Neil, WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!