[TriLUG] OT: Low cost way to offline 3 Tb

John Mitchell john280z at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:09:27 EST 2008

Kevin M. Flanagan <flanagannc at gmail.com> wrote:
> If it's for archival purposes, and I believe that was the original question, a set of hard drives in a NAS device would be cheap,copy the data to it and turn it off.  The life of a disk drive that's _NOT_ spinning is quite long. The NAS device would ensure that you would be able to just turn the device on and get to the info.

  Something like:

So, buy three each 1 Tbyte hard drives (SATA) @ $280.00 & buy
two LinkSys NS200 Network Storage cabinets @ $110.00. (hold two drives each)

Approximate total cost $1060.00 (Newegg prices)

The NAS device would ensure that you would be able to just turn the
device on and get to the info. No special tricks to make it work.
And the two NAS devices would give you a backup device if one failed.

john mitchell