[TriLUG] What filesystem would you use for a laptop?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Jan 25 11:45:32 EST 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:02:25 -0500 "Brian Henning" wrote:

> Datapoint regarding suspend-to-RAM (standby) or suspend-to-disk
> (hibernate):
>
> Granted, I haven't poked at it in an awful long time; it could be
> fixed by now..  but my Lenovo Thinkpad T60P doesn't play nice when
> standing-by or hibernating in Linux; the SATA device doesn't restart
> when the machine resumes, so hard disk access doesn't work.

Both pm-suspend and pm-hibernate work with >90% reliability on my Dell
Latitude D820 and my ThinkPad T42p.  I do get occasional failures to
resume but they've never caused any serious problems (just hit the
power button or on very rare occasions I'll pull the battery).  You can
get good suspend/hibernate hints at:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-check.html

For instance, my D820 does S3 suspend nicely if I temporarily disable
the the DPMS feature in X and use the right set of "quirks" which for
me are:

  xset -dpms
  sleep 1
  pm-suspend --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restore

and then after resume I can (if desired) re-enable DPMS with:

  xset dpms 0 0 120
  xset +dpms

hth,
Ed