[TriLUG] Cron question

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Jan 25 16:51:08 EST 2008

James c. Jones wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Thanks for the tip. I had disabled anacron to conserve ram. I will not
> attempt to disable cron.

Anacron is used to run cron jobs that don't run during their regularly
scheduled time when your computer is off.  You should definitely leave
it enabled if it's a laptop, a PC that boots other OSes from time to
time, or you shut down your PC when you're not using it.  Otherwise cron
jobs like "updatedb" won't be run and your locate database won't be
updated, for example.

How much RAM do you have and why do you want to conserve it so urgently?
  I can't imagine anacron uses enough to be noticeable.

--Jeremy