[TriLUG] Configuring Proftpd as inetd server

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Sun Jan 27 17:54:21 EST 2008

I am trying to configure proftpd as a inetd server on a Debian Etch
system [NSLU2]

I have the directive in proftpd.conf set as the following:
ServerType inetd

I am not use to messing with inetd processes (especially in Debian!) so
I am not sure I even started the process correctly when I executed
proftpd from the command line (root).
When I started proftpd it aborted with the following error
fatal: Socket operation on non-socket

I read that the inetd setup should be set for sockets and not terminals
the how_to on proftpd.org this is suppose to be the config in inetd.conf
ftp stream tcp nowait root in.proftpd in.proftpd

This is what I have:
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/proftpd

I'm not sure what I am looking at. Can anyone give me some guidance?

73,
Neil, WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!