[TriLUG] Catalyst framework

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at ironicdesign.com
Thu Jan 31 11:04:29 EST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:47:53 -0500
Owen <oberry at trilug.org> wrote:

> Anyone done any web development using the Perl framework Catalyst?
> Just wondering what your general opinion of it is.

Assuming you want to work in Perl---I like it, personally, I know many
people feel negatively towards it---I don't think you can beat it.

I was an early adopter of HTML::Mason (pretty much from it's first
release going on a decade ago) and did several projects using it,
including one very high-traffic application.

Although it had plenty of warts, I didn't find anything compelling
enough to change to until I found catalyst.

I've worked with Catalyst for going on two years, and although I
continue to use HTML::Mason as the templating engine for my Catalyst
apps---there's a couple of features it has that TT doesn't that
simplify certain of my templates quite a bit---I wouldn't go back
to straight HTML::Mason for anything.

I've been able to do everything I've wanted with it, most everything
quite easily.

Mike.