[TriLUG] synergy between ubuntu and Vista

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Tue Feb 5 12:36:23 EST 2008

no; this isn't necessarily about ping working.  this is about the ability
of the client to resolve the ip address of the server.  if you are using a
name based configuration, then synergyc tries to get the ip address of the
server using its name (because synergyc connects to the ip address).  if
it can't get the ip address of the server, then it spits out errors and
dies (which is what you're seeing).

using ping was to see if your client machine could resolve the ip address
of the server and talk to it.  you can also do nslookup <server name> and
see if you get anything (or dig, etc., etc.), but I expect the answer will
be the same:  that your client machine has no way of resolving the ip
address from the server name.

the solutions are as follow (in order of laziness/easiness):
1. use the ip address of the server in the client configuration (I believe
this was mentioned)
2. put an entry in your hosts file for the server (name & ip address)
3. get your server into your internal DNS

I'd personally recommend 3 if practical, 2 if not, and 1 as a last resort.

William Sutton