[TriLUG] making a python module

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Feb 12 10:27:14 EST 2008

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, bcpowell at email.unc.edu wrote:

> The python idiom for this is to condition your execution on the value
> of the __name__ variable. This is set to the module name if the file
> has been imported as a module, and has the special value "__main__" if
> the file is being run as a script by the python interpreter. So you can
> put your test code inside a 'if __name__ == "__main__":' block. For
> instance:

(BTW thanks for this. I didn't find a whole lot on this in
google).

the python 2.5 documentation
(docs.python.org/download.html), section 6.1 "More on
Modules" says that global namespace code is executed on
say) but never initialised any code on loading.

What might you want to initialise in a python module on

Thanks Joe