[TriLUG] RHEL5 mail server dreams

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 17:03:12 EST 2008

I've been tasked with authoring a proposal for a mail server, but the
hardware is currently doing another job and won't be available for
several months. Consequently I have a lot of time to dream up what my
new mail server *should* be like. Help me dream?

You might ask, "What's your volume like?" Dream big. Assume that we're
getting more mail than sane people would want to handle and that the
hardware will always be woefully inadequate. Unless you're going to
buy us a new server, we aren't going to get one. "Don't you have some
hardware specs for me to work with?" you ask. I do, but I want you to
dream, so I'm not sharing them. Tell me what an ideal mail system
would look like if the mail volume is always going to be insane and
you have to juggle every kind of mail service known to man.

Ideal dreams are fairly complete (ie. touch on everything, not just
eg. postfix), have your logic articulated at length, and come out of
your own experience, not a whitepaper's. Bonus points for dreams that
make the best use of one box + NFS home directories. Any takers?

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
http://tinyurl.com/3apraw "They also abandoned other volumes, later,