[TriLUG] Equivalent to Solaris "what" command

Brian Henning Brian.Henning at datadirect.com
Tue Feb 26 11:02:40 EST 2008

Hi Gang,

A friend of mine is asking about the "linux equivalent of the what
command on Solaris."  Apparently, there's a command included with the
Solaris C compiler called "what", which can extract information from a
binary file about source code revisions, for example:

$ what libodbc.so
libodbc.so:
          qeunix.hpp $Revision:   1.3  $,$Date::   Dec 05 20$
          ucnvconv.hpp     $Revision: 1.4 $     $Date:: Apr 03 2006$
          bug.hpp     $Revision: 1.1 $     $Date:: Dec 04 2006$
          noansi.hpp     $Revision: 1.0 $     $Date:: Oct 07 2005$
          bos.hpp     $Revision: 1.17 $     $Date:: Jun 27 2007$
		[...]

This strikes me as a compiler feature.  Googling with the word "what" is
not a very efficient endeavor, so I thought I would ask here.  Does GCC
include such a feature, and if so, how is it used?

Many thanks,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning
   DataDirect