[TriLUG] Fedora 7 or 8?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Feb 27 19:45:42 EST 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:57:20 -0500 "Carl Crider" wrote:

>  I need to upgrade my "internal" workstation at work. Seeing that
> this box is not on
> our business network, and has no net connection, I can use any true
> open system
> on it. I need to run an rpm based system in order to install certain
> in-house tools
> for switches and storage. Anyway, I want to use one of the Fedoras,
> and wondered
> if anyone has input on 7 Vs 8.

I'm very happy with 8 on my main laptop and desktop machines.

I've been using 6, 7, and 8 on a combination of laptops, desktops, and
compute nodes.  From a user and a developer perspective, the three (6,
7, 8) are quite similar.  All use GCC v4.1.x as the main compiler.  The
biggest differences I've seen between 7 and 8 are:

  + 8 has a better Intel video driver
  + 8 has pulseaudio (which is very nice but for me occasionally
    needs a HAL restart after suspend/resume)
  + once I selected the right quirks, pm-suspend works well on 8
    (to be fair it worked pretty well on 7 with lockups about
     one time in 10--20 suspend/resume events)
  + newer Firefox on 8

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/