[TriLUG] OT: RSA Securid - how does it work?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Mar 8 09:17:28 EST 2008

I have one of these keys, which gives a different random
number every minute, so I can logon at work. I'm wondering
how it keeps synchronisation with the server. Searches on
google for "RSA Securid how does it work" only come up with
pages on how to login with it (and shills from RSA telling
me how wonderful these keys are).

I assume that the key has a free running crystal oscillator
in which case the setting and long term drift will not be
better than 1:10^6 and it would go out of synch in 2yrs
(60*10^6 secs). Mine has a date of Nov 2003 on the back, so
presumably it's been running for 4 years. Assuming the
battery will last 10yrs, this would mean that the accuracy
of the crystal would have to be 1:10^7 to maintain synch
over this time. This tolerance is a bit tighter than I would
expect is possible.

Anyone know how these things keep synchronised with the
server?

Thanks Joe