[TriLUG] Change in device driver development

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Tue Mar 11 09:45:28 EDT 2008

I need some help from the group:

There is some significant if not radical changes in creating a device driver as
a module from the 2.6.16 kernel to the 2.6.22 kernel (similar changes have been
made to the 2.4 kernel series).  What do you know of as changes, and do you have
any information on how to port a driver written for the older build to the later
build?  When I compile, I'm seeing header changes, warnings as a result of
function argument type changes, even depreciated function calls.

Specifically I am working on a USB scanner driver.  I've noticed abandonment of
other module scanner drivers in favor of libsane.  If libsane is the right route
to go, how do I go about adding the command set and operation of a new scanner
to the libsane driver?  I've already read the SANE documentation on creating a
"backend" driver, but all it says is to model a new backend driver from one of
the others.  Do you know of a specific pointer to either creating a proper SANE
backend driver, or to more properly modify an older driver to work with the
newer Linux kernel?

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA