[TriLUG] symbolic links and rsync

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Sat Mar 15 09:44:43 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've been trying to organize myself and automate some tasks so that I
can work smarter.  I often work offline on my laptop and want those
changes to sync with my desktop at work.  I wrote a two way rsync over
ssh script that simplifies that.

However, in addition to my desktop, I have a Solaris zone on which I
keep a bunch of scripts.  So, in the home directory of my desktop I
created a mount point and mount the scripts directory on my zone via
Samba.  That works fine until I run the rsync process from my laptop.
It seems that the symbolic link gets overwritten with a static directory
and any changes to scripts in that directory no longer propagate to the
zone.

Any ideas on how I might address this?  I'm not particularly interested
in subversion and would like to figure out how to manage this within my
existing infrastructure.

Thanks,
Jim

---Jim Tuttle