[TriLUG] symbolic links and rsync

Justis Peters jtrilug at indythinker.com
Sat Mar 15 12:34:09 EDT 2008

James Tuttle wrote:
> I've been trying to organize myself and automate some tasks so that I
> can work smarter.  I often work offline on my laptop and want those
> changes to sync with my desktop at work.  I wrote a two way rsync over
> ssh script that simplifies that.
>
> However, in addition to my desktop, I have a Solaris zone on which I
> keep a bunch of scripts.  So, in the home directory of my desktop I
> created a mount point and mount the scripts directory on my zone via
> Samba.  That works fine until I run the rsync process from my laptop.
> It seems that the symbolic link gets overwritten with a static directory
> and any changes to scripts in that directory no longer propagate to the
> zone.
>
> Any ideas on how I might address this?  I'm not particularly interested
> in subversion and would like to figure out how to manage this within my
> existing infrastructure.

Jim,

You might consider taking a look at unison.  I've used it only on Linux,
but it also supposedly works on Windows and Solaris.  Here's the first
paragraph from their website:
     "Unison is a file-synchronization tool for Unix and Windows. It
allows two replicas of a collection of files and directories to be
stored on different hosts (or different disks on the same host),
modified separately, and then brought up to date by propagating the
changes in each replica to the other."

You can find out more here:
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/index.html

Kind regards,