[TriLUG] Apache2 / PHP / MySQL Help?

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Mar 26 14:10:48 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 01:23:38PM -0400, Justis Peters wrote:
> Brian McCullough wrote:
> >
> > Which I don't.  I don't have much experience with VMware, having started
> > with Xen, and generally liking it.  However, it means completely
> > rebuilding the machine, which the client isn't too enthusiastic about,
> > since he is here on the right coast, with me, and the machine is on the
> > left.
> >
> Don't forget that my original suggestion was to use a LAMP appliance
> from rPath.  They have domU versions for Xen, too.  So, you can stay in
> your familiar territory.  I still think it's within reach to fix the
> existing installation, though.  I'm just suggesting that you keep the
> domU LAMP appliance in your back pocket in case that doesn't work out.

What I meant was that installing Xen would be a MAJOR operation, and
that I don't want to do.  VMware sitting in the existing, running
system, might be possible.

> Perhaps PHP is loading from a different php.ini somewhere.  There could
> be lots of other things going on, too.

I completely agree.  Unless there is a Debian guru who wants to chime
in, I don't think I want to expend the effort of trying to figure out
why PHP refuses to talk to MySQL.

> I'm guessing that "extension_dir" has a default value, which is compiled
> into the binary.  You could find it by using xxd and grep, I imagine.

Possibly.  I do know that Debian ( like most distributions ) makes some
customizations to the "base" code when preparing packages for inclusion.

> I hope this tip didn't seem either pedantic or didactic.  My wetware

Never.  Most people who know me know that I am frequently excessively
so.

> As one more tip, I'd like to point out that your sysadmin may have done
> something previously that has brought this system out of compliance with
> the normal distro settings.  Perhaps he installed the binaries from apt
> the first time and then used "make install" with a hand-built version
> that clobbered the original binaries?  No need for finger pointing, but
> a few tactful questions could save you a wild goose chase or two.

Oh, no!  We NEVER do that, do we?

Before Debian, and even after, I built many a package from source.  The
rPath people are trying to cure me of that and convince me that I should
add everything like that to the repository, and then install from there,
and I am getting better.  BAD THINGS happen when you sneak around and
add software to a "standard" system.  Of course, if you understand that
you might not be able to update or upgrade it in the future, and have to
reformat and reinstall, have fun!

Thanks,
Brian