[TriLUG] Apache2 / PHP / MySQL Help?

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Mar 26 14:41:56 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:36:06AM -0400, Alan Porter wrote:
> > like my Ubuntu system, which also
> > seems to magically get its information from somewhere else.  Neither
> > system seems to have an "/etc/sysconfig" directory, which Red Hat-like
> > systems do.
>

> One place that Debian packages like to hide useful bits of info
> is /etc/default/.  This directory mostly contains values that
> are read by the start/stop scripts in /etc/init.d (sometimes
> called "initscripts").

Thanks, Alan.  I did look in /etc/default, but there doesn't seem to be
anything related to PHP.  There _is_ an apache2 file, but it only says
whether or not to start Apache at system start.

Found it.  It _is_ compiled in to the php4 binary ( the path to the
extensions, that is ).  That still doesn't explain why the GD extension
is loading and the MySQL one isn't.

OK, I tried another "data point."  I installed the php4-pgsql extension,
and it doesn't show up in phpinfo() either. ( This is a _good_ thing,
because I KNOW that there isn't a PostgreSQL RDBMS in this machine. )

So it seems that although there is definitely a mysqld running on that
machine, and it has both a UNIX socket and a TCP one, the PHP mysql
extension isn't able to communicate with it, and so doesn't announce
itself in phpinfo().

Now I've got something to work with.

Thanks,
Brian